Monday, November 20, 2023

General Thoughts.

48 Matches of the Cricket World Cup

Sticking to my resolution not to watch a single ball live or track scores until well after the matches were over proved challenging. I almost succeeded, barring a solitary exception during the recent final. As I was enjoying a meal at the Bombay Airport Lounge, I happened to witness one live ball, witnessing an Indian wicket fall – an inadvertent but defining moment for my cricket knowledge. However, the real revelation came at 9 PM when my son, Shravan,( who, along with my daughter, was in India for a family wedding), informed me that India was about to lose, needing two runs in 50 balls. As someone who's supported non-Indian / Asian teams in cricket since childhood, this news brought unexpected pleasure.

Our generation often gravitated towards supporting teams like West Indies and Australia, overlooking or even disinterested when Asian teams excelled. (more so with all corruption scandals that emerge from Asia these days) Reflecting on the 1975 final, where Deryck Murray ran out Dennis Lillee at 1 AM Indian time on the longest day of the year, June 21st, 1975, to clinch the inaugural World Cup, remains an indelible memory.



Memories of the First World Cup in Qatar

This week marks the culmination of a memorable year since our enchanting trip to Qatar for the first-ever World Cup in the Middle East. We were fortunate and privileged to witness six matches in just four days. The trip, a gift from my son Shravan as I entered my 60th year, remains etched in our hearts, (the Anthems, The team walking in music, Metro this way) a feeling that will linger for a lifetime. Returning to India in time for my birthday on the 30th of November added an extra touch of significance to this unforgettable experience.

From the 1978 final to the recent 2022 final, this World Cup's grand finale surely stands as one of the best ever. The thrill, the energy, and the culmination of sporting excellence were truly unparalleled. I would rate 1986 final as the second best to witness.


Regards

Karthik.

No comments: