Sunday, November 05, 2023

21 Days to a Habit.

#402

They say it takes 21 days to develop a habit or to break one. Well, it's been 31 days since the Cricket World Cup began, and as I had resolved earlier, I would not watch or track any match live. Instead, I would follow the match results at 4:30 am when I go through online newspaper articles.

Being a die-hard cricket buff and with the World Cup being a premier event, I wasn't sure if I could muster the willpower to stay the course. But with 31 days behind me, I can proudly say that I've stuck to my resolution and am doing great. Just yesterday, as I was crossing the KSCA stadium at 2 pm on my way to a business meeting, there was a match in progress. This was my first visit to the stadium since September 2nd, and I was right there, but there was no temptation to even glance at the match score on my mobile phone.

The KSCA stadium holds a special place in my cricket memories. It's where legends like Viv Richards and Gordon Greenidge made their debut, and it was the venue for Clive Lloyd's first test (As well as Bangalore's first test) as the West Indies Captain in 1974, during my early days of cricket madness. Speaking of World Cup memories, I can't help but recall June 21st, 1975, the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, when Clive Lloyd lifted the World Cup at 1 am Indian Time. Such fond memories should have triggered me to look at the score, but I steadfastly refused to budge.


KSCA Stadium

Cricket has indeed lost some of its sheen, especially here in the subcontinent. It's become somewhat of a joke. It's astonishing to think that there's even talk of this being the last 50-over World Cup. The chaos is compounded by rule changes in the middle of the tournament and pitches that seem to favor the hosts, a scenario that didn't exist just a few years ago.

But taking time away from cricket has allowed me to explore a whole new world of activities. I've been able to dive into reading, contemplate thoughts for blog posts (like the one I'm working on now), and indulge in listening to podcasts while going for brisk walks. This break from cricket is not just improving my mental and physical health but also keeping me from being a couch potato.

It's been an eye-opening experience, and I'm beginning to realize that life outside cricket is equally fulfilling. While the game may be in a state of flux, it's reassuring to know that there are other pursuits that bring joy and enrichment to our lives.

Karthik

5th November 2023. 


No comments: