Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Do Your Personal Background, Privilege, and Upbringing Really Matter in Your Career Success?

 #520


In a world as diverse and interconnected as ours in 2024, the age-old debate about whether personal background, privilege, and upbringing determine career success continues to evolve. Having come from a tier 3 city in rural Tamil Nadu, I can attest that these factors are less determinative than they once were. Instead, what truly matters is how you leverage the choices and opportunities available to you after you reach adulthood.

The Starting Point: A Rural Upbringing

I grew up in a small town in Tamil Nadu, an area that, contrary to many assumptions, boasts a rich tradition of education and cultural wealth. In many ways, being from the south is a blessing. Despite the rural setting, the region's emphasis on learning and development meant that I had a solid foundation. However, the notion that this background alone could dictate my future was something I never bought into.

Life as Lower Middle Class

Our family was lower middle class, which meant that resources were limited. We had one bicycle that we all shared, and there was no television at home until I turned 22. We managed to have two decent square meals a day, but there were no other food privileges. My lunch was a packed box meant to last four hours. I walked 20 minutes to school and took a public bus for a 30-minute journey to college. These circumstances, though challenging, taught me the value of resilience and determination.

The Critical Juncture: Adulthood and Choices

The real turning point in anyone's life comes at the age of 18. This is when the choices you make begin to shape your future more definitively than your past ever could. It’s a time to take intelligent risks, venture into unknown domains, and carve out a path with courage and confidence. My own journey began in 1985 (22) when I moved to Bombay with little more than a basic command of English. The city, with its vast opportunities and challenges, became the proving ground for my resilience and adaptability.

Swimming Against the Tide

Moving to a metropolis like Bombay from a small town required swimming against the tide. The journey was fraught with uncertainties, but it was also filled with invaluable lessons. I made friends from diverse backgrounds, learned from their experiences, and gradually found my footing. This journey underscored a fundamental truth: success is less about where you start and more about how you navigate the path ahead.

Embracing a Global Perspective

Today, I consider myself a global citizen. While I hold onto my roots as a Hindu Iyer, who dedicates 20 minutes each morning to prayer, I never let my personal background dictate my interactions with others. In a professional setting, especially in an increasingly globalized world, it is crucial to approach people as individuals, beyond the confines of their background or upbringing. This open-mindedness has been instrumental in my travels and interactions across 35 countries, working with people from all walks of life. At no stage in my career progress any one bothered about the background, except a cursory introduction I need to make about myself. 

The Final Word: Choice and Agency

Ultimately, personal background, privilege, and upbringing provide a starting point, but they do not have to be the determinants of your destiny. After 18, it is your choices, your willingness to take risks, and your ability to adapt and learn that will chart the course of your career and life. Success in the modern world is a mosaic of diverse experiences, and each individual holds the brush to paint their unique journey.

Response to Financial Times Article

In light of the Financial Times article by Emma Jacobs, "Why playing down a privileged background might be a savvy career move," I find this perspective somewhat outdated. In 2024, few people care about the background you come from. What truly matters is your ability to adapt, learn, and grow in a rapidly changing world. Yes, You need to listen to your well wishers and take few hard calls. While acknowledging privilege is important, the emphasis should be on how individuals use their unique circumstances to create opportunities and drive success.

By sharing my story, I hope to inspire others to look beyond their circumstances and seize the opportunities that lie ahead. It is not where you come from but where you are going that truly matters.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Karthik.

9th July 2024. 930am. 

No comments: