Monday, June 12, 2023

Golden Gate and Alcatraz.

 Saturday 10th June, 2023 my 40 year dream turned in to reality.


In 1979, I read "The Golden Gate" by Alistair MaClean. The book is a plot to blow the Golden Gate Bridge if ransom is not paid by terrorists, when the American President and his 2 Arab guests were visiting the bridge. Such a masterful storytelling, made an impression on my as a 16 year old, that I decided that I should visit the place. While I had been to California a few times, I never got a chance to visit San Francisco taking detour and visit the most famous land mark which is about 85 years old now. Now that I am here finally, we decided to visit the Bridge and see its beauty. It was an amazing experience of walking about 3 miles both ways and enjoying the scenery of Hills, San Francisco skyline and skyscrapers besides looking at Alcatraz a mile away. Ofcourse, the weather was cold, windy, muggy sunnyless day. (It turned better after 2pm). Be aware that with road repairs etc. you may need to walk both ways which is about 3.5 Mile affair. 

I picked the Golden Gate book from the old booksellers shop a couple of hours before leaving Bangalore as I wanted to take pictures with the book at the famous site. 










We also visited the Alcatraz Federal prison which was closed in 1963 and is now a tourist spot. The 2 hrs spent were amazing. The audio tour (with electronic devices recreates the prison days!!)..... Glad we could make it. Alcatraz had notorious Al Capone had its guest besdies 3 in famous who made good of their escape on 11th June 1963 which the movie "Escape from Alcatraz" was filmed. 






















No comments: