Sunday, May 17, 2009

Election, Balmer, Ramesh, Food, Counterfeit

So, the results of the Indian elections were out yesterday, Saturday and as with the election results over the last 8 months all over the world, it has been a disappointing results to take for me. The only silver lining I see in this election is people have voted overwhelmingly for a party with interests/ focus in the national main stream. So this at least gives the government of Dr Manmohan Singh, that comes in a free mandate to do reforms which are badly needed without the whims to attend of smaller, regional parties and the left which I feel should have been long consigned to museum as happened in other parts of the world. So in the interst of national development, we hope things start happening after 5 retarded years. Wishing the Prime minister good luck till next elections. May be, we await a leader who would do a turn around for our agenda!! There is always hope!!. (Labor waited 18years in UK, so a 10 is acceptable)

As a practice now a days I stay away from TV and followed the whole election (but for 15 minutes of TV) on the web. My classmate Thirumalai Rajan, settled now in Bay area, Frisco runs a blog called IDLY VADAI( A south Indian Breakfast dish) in which I followed the fortunes of politician from my state of Tamil Nadu. Interesting developments as well as shameful display of money muscle power.

Moving away from political chaos and mess, it was refreshing to hear Steve Balmer speak to upcoming students at Stanford on challenges and issues ahead in Tech world as well as in MS. Worth a listen from the Microsoft CEO. On another front, this week I tried MS IE 8.0 for a change after downloading, and I was pleasantly surprised, it is not bad after all. Although when I tried to set up weather (It is now raining since 2pm, 4 hours ago) for Bangalore in the browser, there were B and C grade cities, but no Bangalore( A city with 7 mio people!!!).

Of late, I have switched to spending more time on listening to the south Indian music more of instrumental types, which I find very very soothing. I hit up on a great fusion of Western and south indian music by Ramesh of Nadaswaram fusion. A fabulous one especially Malai Soodinal.(Garland exchange during Indian marriage). I am looking for the lyrics for the songs, can anyone help?

So, the recession effects are beginning to take efforts in this part of the world. I am seeing in some places where, canteen food is no longer subsidised and you got to pay for yourself and buy food. I am seeing amazing change in the crowd behavior that comes to canteen has dwindled and many many people carry packed food from home, I am yet to do the switch over. Also the good part is the wastage of food has shrunk dramatically. I see clean plates at the disposal points, a great feeling. Food waste is a crime. Also hearing from friends that some companies are switching to 4 day week. Hmmm, sign of times!!!. Lets hope things move back to gear fast.!!.

I was amazed to read about the counterfeit racket in Lima, Peru. What was shocking also there was an arrest of 90 year old woman in robbery attempt. Wonder where things are going????!!!.

Till next week, take it easy and take care; live consciously.
Regards
Karthik.

No comments: